Teeth whitening is an aesthetic dental treatment whose purpose is to get rid of discoloration and stains and give the teeth a whiter and brighter appearance. In recent years, teeth whitening has become a popular dental procedure, with the average age of people getting their teeth bleached getting lower each year.
Common causes of tooth discoloration
The teeth can become discolored due to several factors. The most common causes include:
- Lack of proper dental hygiene. It is very important to maintain good dental hygiene, it is the most effective measure in preventing teeth from becoming discolored or darker.
- Genetics. The natural color of our teeth is linked to hereditary factors. Many people have naturally yellowish teeth.
- Age. Over the years, our teeth naturally acquire a yellowish or brownish tinge due to wear and environmental factors.
- Taking certain medications. Medicines with some compounds may accelerate the discoloration of teeth. For example, taking medicine that contains Chlorhexidine for a considerable period can cause brown stains on the teeth.
- Bad habits such as smoking or drinking coffee or wine. These are habits that darken the teeth, but in this case, discoloration is usually reversible.
How to maintain whitened teeth
Making your teeth whitening last a long time is not difficult, but it requires some self-control when it comes to certain habits.First, you mustreduce your intake of alcohol (especially wine) and soft drinks, as they contain food dyes and other compounds that stain or wear away the teeth surface and can ruin your recently whitened teeth if they are taken in excess.
In addition, you must stop the habit of smoking. Tobacco is one of the most common causes of teeth discoloration, so you should think about quitting smoking or chewing tobacco if you want your teeth whitening to last as long as possible. You should also avoid very cold or hot food and drinks as much as possible, especially the first days after getting your teeth bleached since they can generate tooth sensitivity that goes away after a short time.
If you are interested in getting your teeth professionally whitened to enhance your appearance and smile, at Mexico Dental Network you can find affordable dental clinics specializing in dental whitening procedures. Give us a call now to learn more.